St. Francis Hospital Fast Facts
A National Leader
In 2018, the following procedures were performed:
- 1,414 open-heart surgeries
- 3,674 cardiac arrhythmia procedures, including electrophysiology studies, ablations, pacemakers, and implantable defibrillators
- 11,632 cardiac catheterizations and peripheral vascular procedures, including 3,430 percutaneous coronary interventions (stents and angioplasties)
- 468 TAVR implants, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- In the past 10 years, over 111,000 cardiac catheterizations, 33,000 angioplasties, and 14,000 open-heart surgeries have been performed at St. Francis Hospital.
- With one of the largest cardiac surgical volumes in NYS, our program has been recognized for outstanding success rates more times than any other hospital in the NY metropolitan area. (NYSDOH)
- We perform one of the largest volumes of percutaneous coronary interventions (angioplasties with stents) in the region. (NYSDOH)
- St. Francis is the global leader in Precision Angioplasty, using state-of-the-art imaging OCT technology to precisely place stents.
- St. Francis Hospital is a center of excellence in congestive heart failure, having served over 13,000 patients in 2018.
- St. Francis has performed 50 Left Ventricular Assisting Device (LVAD) implants since the program was Joint Commission certified in 2016, one of the fastest growing LVAD programs in the country.
- The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital places all oncological disciplines at one convenient location, inclusive of medical oncology, surgical oncology, infusion therapy, and radiation oncology.
- St. Francis performs one of the highest volumes of orthopedic procedures on Long Island. In 2018, our orthopedic surgeons performed over 1,600 joint replacements.
Acclaimed Clinical Care
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked St. Francis one of the best hospitals in the nation for Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, and Geriatrics. We are also rated as high performing in Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Pulmonology & Lung Surgery. The U.S. News ratings are based on a review of nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide. (2019-20)
- St. Francis is also recognized by U.S. News as High Performing in eight common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, hip and knee replacement. (2019-20)
- The Hospital has been rated among the Top Ten hospitals in the region by U.S. News – ranking #9 in New York State and #10 in the NY Metro Area. (2019-20)
- St. Francis is the only hospital on Long Island with a 5-Star CMS rating.
- It is also the only hospital on Long Island to be rated one of the Top General Hospitals in the country by the Leapfrog Group.
- In addition, St. Francis has received an 'A' from Leapfrog in 15 of 17 national safety assessments, the most in Nassau County
- Achieved Magnet designation for excellence in nursing three consecutive times the only hospital in Nassau to do so.
- St. Francis has repeatedly earned the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus award for stroke care. (2019)
- St. Francis outranks any hospital on Long Island in Patient Experience. (January 2020 - Medicare.gov)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes.
- Six of St. Francis Hospital's med-surg nursing units hold the AMSN PRISM Award for exemplary nursing practice; a national record.
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given their prestigious Beacon Award for Excellence to every one of St. Francis Hospital’s six critical care units. (2019)
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated St. Francis a nationally accredited surgical weight loss center. (2019)
- The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital is accredited by The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons. (2019)
An Innovator in Healthcare
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve. To date, St. Francis has performed more than 2,000 TAVR procedures, the highest volume on Long Island.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- St. Francis was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OCT system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- St. Francis is a premier center for research, participating in national clinical trials in Interventional Cardiology (Ilumien 4, Disrupt CAD III);Structural Heart for the treatment of aortic stenosis (Medtronic Low Risk TAVR Trial) and mitral valve regurgitation requiring replacement or repair (APOLLO Trial, Edwards CardiAQ, Cardioband); Heart Failure (Guide HF, Define HF, Embrace HF) and in investigator initiated trials that study the underlying mechanisms of heart disease using a full range of state-of-the-art cardiac imaging modalities.
Last updated: June 2020