St. Francis Hospital Fast Facts
A National Leader
In 2017, the following procedures were performed:
- 1,416 open-heart surgeries
- 3,849 cardiac arrhythmia procedures, including electrophysiology studies, ablations, pacemakers, and implantable defibrillators
- 11,213 cardiac catheterizations and peripheral vascular procedures, including 3,491 percutaneous coronary interventions (stents and angioplasties)
- In the past 10 years, over 111,000 cardiac catheterizations, 33,000 angioplasties, and 14,000 open-heart surgeries have been performed at St. Francis Hospital.
- St. Francis has one of the largest cardiac surgical volumes in New York State. Its program has been recognized for its outstanding success rates more times than any other hospital in the New York metropolitan area (NYSDOH).
- St. Francis physicians performs one of the largest volumes of percutaneous coronary interventions (angioplasties with stents) in the region. (NYSDOH)
- In 2017, approximately 2,000 patients came to The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital for treatment or consultation.
- St. Francis performs one of the highest volumes of orthopedic procedures on Long Island, totaling more than 3,200 cases in 2017, including 1,400 joint replacements.
Acclaimed Clinical Care
- For the 11th consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has recognized St. Francis as one of the best hospitals in America, ranking St. Francis among the top hospitals nationwide for Cardiology & Heart Surgery and also Gastroenterology & GI Surgery. (2017-18)
- U.S. News also ranked St. Francis the top hospital on Long Island and 5th in New York State. (2017-18)
- U.S. News also recognized St. Francis as high performing in four adult specialties: Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Pulmonology. (2017-18)
- Recognized by U.S. News as high performing in eight common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery; heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, hip replacement, and lung cancer surgery -- the most for any hospital on Long Island. (2016-17)
- St. Francis has held the Magnet designation for excellence in nursing care, an honor only awarded to seven percent of U.S. hospitals, for the third time in a row. It is the only hospital in Nassau County to be designated three times. April 2015
- St. Francis has earned the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for six consecutive years. (2016)
- The Hospital also received a Get With The Guidelines Gold Quality Achievement Award for Heart Failure care two years in a row. (2016)
- St. Francis scores highest on Long Island in federal patient satisfaction survey. (January 2017 - Medicare.gov)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes in patients.
- St. Francis was recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review for having one of the best orthopedic programs in the country. (2015)
- Six of St. Francis Hospital's med-surg nursing units hold the AMSN PRISM Award for exemplary nursing practice; a national record. This award is given by the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses and the Medical-Surgical Certification Board. (2018)
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given the Beacon Award for Excellence to six nursing units at St. Francis Hospital. Two intensive care units -- the CTICU and SICU -- hold Gold-level distinctions, as does the Intermediate Care Unit (3E). The Cardiac Cath Lab/Ambulatory Care Unit (ACU), the PACU and MICU 2 units each hold a Silver-level award. (2018)
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated St. Francis Hospital a nationally accredited surgical weight loss center. (2015)
- The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons granted Full Accreditation with Commendation to the Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital. (2016)
- St. Francis Hospital received an ‘A’ in ten national safety scorings from the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that ranks hospitals nationwide for their patient safety standards.
An Innovator in Healthcare
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to use the Diamondback 360 orbital atherectomy, an advanced technique for opening severely calcified coronary arteries, and the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- It was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OPTISi system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- The Hospital is a premier center for national clinical trials such as: Medtronic CoreValve and EVOLUT Trials, St. Jude Portico Trial, Direct Flow SALUS Trial, Illumien III Optimize PCI Trial, Heart Failure Trials, RELAX, PARAGON, Barostim neo® - Baroreflex Activation Therapy , ABBOTT COAPT- Mitraclip® Trial, Carotid stent trials such as CREST and Gore Scaffold, and the St. Jude Leadless Pacemaker trial.
- St. Francis is also conducting studies using a full range of state-of-the-art cardiac imaging modalities to examine the underlying mechanisms of heart disease.
Last updated: March 2018
Looking for Ways to Help?
St. Francis Hospital is blessed to have the support of a great many friends. Would you like to join in our efforts?
Inner Page Hero Image Position:
Pin Middle Center
Floating CTA Show: