St. Francis Hospital Fast Facts
A National Leader
In 2018, the following procedures were performed:
- 1,414 open-heart surgeries
- 3,674 cardiac arrhythmia procedures, including electrophysiology studies, ablations, pacemakers, and implantable defibrillators
- 11,632 cardiac catheterizations and peripheral vascular procedures, including 3,430 percutaneous coronary interventions (stents and angioplasties)
- 468 TAVR implants, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- In the past 10 years, over 111,000 cardiac catheterizations, 33,000 angioplasties, and 14,000 open-heart surgeries have been performed at St. Francis Hospital.
- With one of the largest cardiac surgical volumes in NYS, our program has been recognized for outstanding success rates more times than any other hospital in the NY metropolitan area. (NYSDOH)
- We perform one of the largest volumes of percutaneous coronary interventions (angioplasties with stents) in the region. (NYSDOH)
- St. Francis is the global leader in Precision Angioplasty, using state-of-the-art imaging OCT technology to precisely place stents.
- St. Francis Hospital is a Center of Excellence in congestive heart failure, having served over 13,000 patients in 2018.
- St. Francis has performed 36 Left Ventricular Assisting Device (LVAD) implants since the program was Joint Commission certified in 2016, one of the fastest growing LVAD programs in the country.
- The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital places all oncological disciplines at one convenient location, inclusive of medical oncology, surgical oncology, infusion therapy, and radiation oncology.
- St. Francis performs one of the highest volumes of orthopedic procedures on Long Island. In 2018, our orthopedic surgeons performed over 1,500 joint replacements.
Acclaimed Clinical Care
- U.S. News & World Report has recognized St. Francis as High Performing in five adult specialties: Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, and Orthopedics. The ratings are based on a review of nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide. (2018-19)
- U.S. News also ranked St. Francis the #1 hospital on Long Island;#5 in NYS, and #6 in Metro NY. (2018-19)
- St. Francis is recognized by U.S. News as High Performing in seven common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, and hip replacement. (2018-19)
- Achieved Magnet designation for excellence in nursing 3 consecutive times the only hospital in Nassau to do so. (April 2015)
- St. Francis has repeatedly earned the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus award for Stroke care. (2018)
- St. Francis outranks any hospital on Long Island in Patient Experience. (March 2019 - Medicare.gov)
- St. Francis scores highest on Long Island in Quality Measures in the Federal government’s Hospital Compare scorings. (March 2019 - Medicare.gov)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes.
- Six of St. Francis Hospital's med-surg nursing units hold the AMSN PRISM Award for exemplary nursing practice; a national record.
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given their prestigious Beacon Award for Excellence to every one of St. Francis Hospital’s six critical care units. (2018)
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated St. Francis a nationally accredited surgical weight loss center. (2018)
- The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital is accredited by The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons. (2018)
- Received an ‘A’ from the Leapfrog Group in 13 of 15 national safety assessments, the most on Long Island.
An Innovator in Healthcare
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve. To date, St. Francis has performed over 1,600 TAVR procedures, the highest volume on Long Island.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- St. Francis was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OCT system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- St. Francis is a premier center for research, participating in national clinical trials in Interventional Cardiology (Ilumien 4, Disrupt CAD III);Structural Heart for the treatment of aortic stenosis (Medtronic Low Risk TAVR Trial) and mitral valve regurgitation requiring replacement or repair (APOLLO Trial, Edwards CardiAQ, Cardioband); Heart Failure (Guide HF, Define HF, Embrace HF) and in investigator initiated trials that study the underlying mechanisms of heart disease using a full range of state-of-the-art cardiac imaging modalities.
Last updated: March 2019
Looking for Ways to Help?
St. Francis Hospital is blessed to have the support of a great many friends. Would you like to join in our efforts?
Inner Page Hero Image Position:
Pin Middle Center
Floating CTA Show: