Honors & Distinctions
St. Francis Hospital, The Heart Center® is New York State’s only specialty designated cardiac center, offering one of the leading cardiac care programs in the nation. A member of Catholic Health Services of Long Island, the Hospital is recognized as an innovator in the delivery of specialized cardiovascular services in an environment where excellence and compassion are emphasized.
- U.S. News & World Report has recognized St. Francis as High Performing in five adult specialties: Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, and Orthopedics. The ratings are based on a review of nearly 5,000 hospitals nationwide. (2018-19)
- U.S. News also ranked St. Francis the #1 hospital on Long Island;#5 in NYS, and #6 in Metro NY. (2018-19)
- St. Francis is recognized by U.S. News as High Performing in seven common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, and hip replacement. (2018-19)
- Achieved Magnet designation for excellence in nursing 3 consecutive times the only hospital in Nassau to do so. (April 2015)
- St. Francis has repeatedly earned the American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Gold award for Stroke care. (2018)
- St. Francis outranks any hospital on Long Island in Patient Experience. (March 2019 - Medicare.gov)
- St. Francis scores highest on Long Island in Quality Measures in the Federal government’s Hospital Compare scorings. (March 2019 - Medicare.gov)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes.
- Six of St. Francis Hospital's med-surg nursing units hold the AMSN PRISM Award for exemplary nursing practice; a national record.
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given their prestigious Beacon Award for Excellence to every one of St. Francis Hospital’s six critical care units. (2018)
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has designated St. Francis a nationally accredited surgical weight loss center. (2018)
- The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital is accredited by The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons. (2018)
- Received an ‘A’ from the Leapfrog Group in 12 of 14 national safety assessments, the most on Long Island.
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve. To date, St. Francis has performed over 1,600 TAVR procedures, the highest volume on Long Island.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- St. Francis was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OCT system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- St. Francis is a premier center for research, participating in national clinical trials in Interventional Cardiology (Ilumien 4, Disrupt CAD III);Structural Heart for the treatment of aortic stenosis (Medtronic Low Risk TAVR Trial) and mitral valve regurgitation requiring replacement or repair (APOLLO Trial, Edwards CardiAQ, Cardioband); Heart Failure (Guide HF, Define HF, Embrace HF) and in investigator initiated trials that study the underlying mechanisms of heart disease using a full range of state-of-the-art cardiac imaging modalities.
Last updated: March 2019