Honors & Distinctions
St. Francis Hospital, The Heart Center® is New York State’s only specialty designated cardiac center, offering one of the leading cardiac care programs in the nation. A member of Catholic Health Services of Long Island, the Hospital is recognized as an innovator in the delivery of specialized cardiovascular services in an environment where excellence and compassion are emphasized.
- In the past 10 years, over 111,000 cardiac catheterizations, 33,000 angioplasties, and 14,000 open-heart surgeries have been performed at St. Francis Hospital.
- St. Francis has one of the largest cardiac surgical volumes in New York State. Its program has been recognized for its outstanding success rates more times than any other hospital in the New York metropolitan area. (NYSDOH)
- St. Francis physicians performs one of the largest volumes of percutaneous coronary interventions (angioplasties with stents) in the region. (NYSDOH)
- In 2017, approximately 2,000 patients came to The Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital for treatment or consultation.
- St. Francis performs one of the highest volumes of orthopedic procedures on Long Island, totaling more than 3,200 cases in 2017, including 1,400 joint replacements.
- For the 11th consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has recognized St. Francis as one of the best hospitals in America, ranking St. Francis among the top hospitals nationwide for Cardiology & Heart Surgery and also Gastroenterology & GI Surgery. (2017-18)
- U.S. News also ranked St. Francis the top hospital on Long Island and 5th in New York State. (2017-18)
- St. Francis was also recognized by U.S. News as high performing in four adult specialties: Geriatrics, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Pulmonology. (2017-18)
- U.S. News also recognized St. Francis as high performing in eight common adult procedures and conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD, hip replacement, and lung cancer surgery – the most for any hospital on Long Island. (2017-18)
- St. Francis is the only hospital in Nassau County to hold Magnet designation for excellence in nursing care three times. (April 2015)
- St. Francis scored highest on Long Island in federal patient satisfaction survey. (January 2017 - Medicare.gov)
- St. Francis has repeatedly earned the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines Gold awards for both Stroke and Heart Failure. (2016)
- The NYS Department of Health recognized St. Francis as a Top Performer in three measures aimed at preventing strokes in patients.
- Six of St. Francis Hospital's med-surg nursing units hold the AMSN PRISM Award for exemplary nursing practice; a national record. This award is given by the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses and the Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board. (2018)
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) has given its Beacon Award for Excellence to six nursing units at St. Francis Hospital. (2017)
- The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons granted Full Accreditation with Commendation to the Cancer Institute at St. Francis Hospital. (2016)
- St. Francis Hospital has received an ‘A’ in 10 national safety scorings by the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that ranks hospitals nationwide on their patient safety standards.
- St. Francis Hospital is a leader in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and was one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to implant the Medtronic CoreValve.
- The Hospital was the first on Long Island to use the Diamondback 360 orbital atherectomy, an advanced technique for opening severely calcified coronary arteries, and the first on Long Island to implant the St. Jude Nanostim leadless pacemaker.
- It was also the first hospital on Long Island to use the OPTISi system to visualize arterial blockages.
- St. Francis is a recognized national leader in cardiac non-invasive imaging, including cardiac CT scanning, cardiac PET-CT scanning, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI), nuclear imaging, and three-dimensional echocardiography.
- St. Francis is a premier center for national clinical trials. These include: Medtronic LOW RISK TAVR Trial, Early Feasibility Study of the CardiAQ™ Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation (TMVI) System, The REFLECT Trial: evaluation of TriGuard™ HDH Embolic Protection for TAVR, and UNLOAD TAVR TRIAL; Heart Failure trials: DEFINE-HF, EMBRACE-HF Trial, PIONEER, GALACTIC, Barostim neo®- Baroreflex Activation Therapy, COAPT-Mitraclip® Trial; NIH sponsored CREST 2 Trial for carotid artery stenosis; Interventional Cardiology trials: ECLIPSE.
Last updated: March 2018